- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp table salt
- 9 Tbsp sugar, granulated
- 2 large egg(s), beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup(s) hot water, almost boiling
- 1 1/2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-hole muffin pan with cupcake liners or coat pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, in another large bowl, beat granulated sugar, eggs and vanilla until light and somewhat fluffy.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a double-boiler over very low heat, stirring constantly, so it doesn’t burn.
- With electric mixer running on slow, pour warm chocolate mixture into eggs until thoroughly combined. Add flour mixture and hot water, alternating in batches, until just combined.
- Pour batter into muffin holes about 2/3s full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Place pan on a wire rack for 2 minutes and then remove cupcakes from pan to cool completely. Once cool, dust with powdered sugar. Yields 1 cupcake per serving.
Make these muffins your own: Add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, swap hot water with hot coffee and/or add 1/2 teaspoon of instant espresso to the dry ingredients.