- 24 medium strawberries, about 10 oz, hulled and quartered (reserve 6 whole berries for garnish)
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened orange juice
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 4 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine, chilled and cut into pieces
- 2/3 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 2 tsp fat free skim milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 cup(s) fat free whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine quartered strawberries and orange juice; toss to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together flour, 6 tablespoons of sugar, baking powder and salt. Add margarine; mix together with a fork until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 2/3 cup of milk; mix until a manageable dough forms. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and roll out to 1-inch thickness. Using a 3 1/2-inch round cookie cutter (or round glass), cut dough into six circles. Transfer rounds to baking sheet. Brush tops with 2 teaspoons milk and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Bake until puffed up and golden, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and, while still warm, split in half crosswise (like an English muffin).
- Spoon 1/3 cup of strawberries onto bottom half of each shortcake round. Top with sugar-coated second half. Spoon 2 tablespoons of whipped topping on top and garnish each with a whole strawberry.