Fresh Tomato Sauce
Fresh Tomato Sauce
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), finely chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
- 12 medium plum tomato(es), finely chopped (reserve juice)
- 2 Tbsp basil, leaves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, stemmed
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Spray a large saucepan with nonstick spray and heat over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and all their juice; stir well and continue cooking until they begin to simmer.
- Stir in the basil, oregano, thyme, honey, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes. Serving Size: 1/2 cup.
If you're going to use fresh tomatoes, also use fresh herbs for the best taste. Make a double batch and freeze half for dinner on another night. 7 Things to do with Fresh Tomato Sauce: Baked Italian Chicken Pour sauce over skinless bone-in chicken thighs in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Bake in a preheated 350ºF oven until bubbling and an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into one of the thighs without touching bone registers 180ºF, about 35 minutes. Baked Potatoes Slice open a freshly baked potato and spoon on sauce as a topping. Dip/Salsa Pour half the sauce into a blender; blend until just smooth. Use as a dip for vegetables or toasted pita rounds. Stir 1 chopped, seeded jalapeno chili into the chunky sauce, if desired. Fish Pour the sauce into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish; heat in a preheated 350ºF oven for 10 minutes. Lay fish fillets on top of sauce; bake until the fish flakes when gently scraped with a fork, about 10 minutes. Mussels Marinara Stir 3 pounds of cleaned and de-bearded mussels into the sauce after it's thickened. Cover and simmer until the mussels have opened, about 4 minutes. Discard any mussels that don't open. Pizza Blend all the sauce in the blender until smooth; spread onto a purchased whole wheat pizza crust. Top with vegetables and a little low-fat mozzarella or goat cheese; bake as directed on the crust's package. Shrimp and Rice Casserole Stir 3 cups cooked brown rice and 1 1/2 pounds cleaned and deveined medium shrimp (about 30 per pound) into the sauce. Pour into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the top with 2 ounces grated low-fat Cheddar. Bake in a preheated 350ºF oven until bubbling, about 35 minutes.